Friday, December 20, 2013

Tennessee (A Piece Of My Heart)


I have decided to do a picture post about Jamestown, Tennessee, it is my hometown and located in Fentress County. My friends know that I was big on collecting Native American artifacts from the rock houses. Some of them have no idea what a rock house is or what they look like. So I was happy to find some good pictures of them to post. Tennessee has some of the most beautiful country there is. Since I have been living in Indiana that is what I miss most. The land up here is flat and all that you see are fields of corn, soybeans etc. When I go back to Tennessee it feels like the mountains are hugging me and no matter how far I go and how long I stay gone, Tennessee will always be my home.

               




Fentress County Courthouse population approx. 18,000



Old Depot Bldg. for the O&W railroad, it stopped running in 1954





Old Fentress County Jail National Registry of Historic places has it well over
100 yrs. old. It now houses "Ye Olde Jail Museum"


Fentress County Courthouse


Jordon Motel has been there as long as I can remember



Leonard Anderson a local story teller and singer.
You might see this anywhere in the county.




The first settlers used oxen to pull their logs to the river.
They would float the logs along the river to market them. 


Main St. Jamestown, TN




Sand Spring is now a city park in Jamestown, TN.
Mark Twain's parents use to get their water here from this spring.





Sgt. York donated land to build this school on. I attended high school there.
Now there is a new high school located next to this one.

Next is pictures of the rock housed or bluffs. They still contain Native American artifacts if you look hard enough.

                                                                     Rock Houses






On the inside looking out!




This one is located on state land inside Picket State Park but look at the kind
of vehicles that had to have to get back to it.





Nature walks is one of my favorite things to do. Nothing is more beautiful or serene that the forests in Tennessee. So I've posted a few pictures to show what you might see along the trails.

                                                             


Overlooking the gorge




Northup Falls is located in Colditz Cove,
I use to live near it. It plunges 60 ft over a rock ledge
down into a narrow gorge. The Woodland Indians once
used the rock houses near the falls and along the creek
gorge for shelter. The area is now maintained by the state
"Colditz Cove State Natural Area" I use to hike there regularly.

It's common to see these old home places.

Rock formation along the trail.


You might run across something like this, they were commonly called a crib.

Overlook behind Jordon Motel on the Eastfork riding trails.

Black eyed Susan's





Milk Weed wildflowers

Mountain Laurel growing wild.


Natural Bridge at Pickett State Park




Another view of Northup Falls


Some more shots over looking the gorge


Overlooking Rock Castle




Not my favorite thing to walk up on but they are there. The common name for
this one is the "water snake." I would much rather it be this one than a
rattlesnake or a copperhead which are both widespread in the area.

I've only seen one but their population is increasing and they are being
seen quite frequently now.

Wildflower called the Passion flower



Tennessee Mountains





Alvin C York was well known as World War I hero. After returning from the war he did a lot to help our county. He was from a northern section of Fentress County know as Pall Mall, TN. Which now is the home of the Alvin C York Park in his honor. His home place and burial place are both located there.
 


Gary Cooper played the Sgt York in the movie made about him.


Burial place of Sgt.York in the Wolf River Cemetery

Swinging bridge that crosses Wolf River behind his house.


Alvin C York also built York Bible Institute it never really did get took off.
The building still stands in Pall Mall, TN.

A different shot of Sgt. York's burial place

Alvin C York's home place


York Grist Mill located in York Park in Pall Mall, TN



A different shot of York Grist Mill located in York Park, Pall Mall, TN




For more information about Sgt. Alvin C York follow the link below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_C._York
                                                                         L.G.V.

No comments:

Post a Comment